2.2.14

“Not all those who wander are lost.”  ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Day 2 of the February Expat Blogger Challenge and today's prompt is...


“Not all those who wander are lost.”  ― J.R.R. Tolkien


A co-worker once said to me, 'Some people grow roots, others grow wings. You, my friend, have wings.' 

I had a goal in my 20s to see 30 countries before I turned 30 years old. While I didn't quite achieve that goal, but I came very close. <<Maybe I should revisit this for 40 by 40? ;)>> I love seeing new places, experiencing new cultures, new foods, new ways and means of living. I love it. And, while I love to wander, by no means am I lost. While I continue to seek new adventures, learn new skills - I am by no means forgetting the roots of who I am and how I came to be. 

Growing up in rural Minnesota, I always had grand dreams of 'escaping' and seeing the world. And, thankfully, with my family and friends support - I have made a good effort of it. I was quite lucky to have seen Europe as a 13-year old, travelled the USA with family, backpacking Europe with friends just out of college at 22, and exploring the USA with friends on our vacations and long weekends. 

I met and married a Kiwi bloke, and we have been creating our own adventures ever since. We went to Europe on a 5-week honeymoon - a combination of backpacking, and visiting family and friends as we travelled. Awesome adventure! 



Iceland. Amazing country - beautiful. Raw. COLD. 
We had to very carefully walk out to the falls, because it was sooo icy!


Austrian Alps. Awesome views. Awesome coffee. 



Venice. Romantic. Beautiful. 


France. Gorgeous views, awesome food! 

We traveled a fair amount of the upper Midwest and Canada via Ducati motorcycle, which was an adventure in itself! Our latest overseas wandering was in Australia with our beautiful Miss G in 2012.


And, of course we wander around gorgeous New Zealand quite a bit too. I'm so thankful to have a bit of a tourist mind here in New Zealand, even after 7 years of living as an expat here. We continue to explore this beautiful country every chance we get. 

Cheers everyone, and happy wandering! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment